Monday, November 19, 2012

Chapter 14: The Southwest Border Area

Hispanic Americans

Similar to the Southwest border, many Hispanic Americans also reside in Merced. My grandparents migrated to the US from Mexico in 1957. My grandfather came here illegally at first, looking for work which he found. He then sent money for my grandmother to come and join him. During this time that they were apart, they were engaging in a long distance relationship for about 7 years (awww!). Once they saved enough money to file for citizenship, they did so and have been legal residents ever since.Throughout Merced, one can see the hispanic influence that it has had on the town. From the local "panaderias" or bakeries, to "taquerias" or taco shops, many hispanics were successful in establishing business. They also had a decent clientele base, which consisted of other immigrants from Mexico. My great grandmother, the mother of the one that immigrated here was from France. My grandfathers last name is Velazquez, which is derived from Spain. This is just one example of how the Spanish Conquistadores and European immigrants have impacted my family and I.My fathers last name is Garcia, which is also Spanish. According to the 2010 U.S census, 55.7% of the Merced County population reported being hispanic or latino. That is 38.1% of the entire state of California! I am glad that my grandparents came when they did, or else I would not be here today!
Pictured here is Panaderia Oaxaca in Merced where one can find delicious, authentic Mexican pastries.
http://flickrhivemind.net/Tags/mexico,panaderia/Timeline

No comments:

Post a Comment